The debate of using metal studs vs. wood in commercial construction is still alive and well, but more and more new commercial builds are using metal studs. At Architectural Interior Restorations Inc. (AIR), we know commercial construction. Since 1983, we’ve helped change the cityscape of Cleveland and surrounding cities in Ohio. Our drywallers and carpenters are the best in the area, experienced in installing metal stud framing, drywall, and everything else it takes to construct a building that will last a lifetime.
Choosing Metal Studs over Wood
According to the Steel Framing Alliance, more than 40 percent of commercial structures are now built with metal studs. Even in the residential construction industry, we’re seeing the use of metal studs on the rise. Here’s why:
- Metal studs interlock, requiring less storage space for construction materials.
- Metal studs come standard with pre-drilled holes for plumbing and electrical applications, saving sub-contractors time and energy.
- Drywall nail pops become a non-issue, since screws are used for metal stud installation, rather than nails used for wood studs
- Typically, wood-framed construction is limited to three stories. For taller structures that require a high level of strength and dimensional tolerance, heavy gauge metal studs do the job.
- Metal studs are more air-tight, which saves energy by preventing air infiltration.
- Metal studs create low amounts of waste at the job site since studs are delivered pre-cut. Any resulting scrap can be recycled.
- The uses for metal studs are almost unlimited.
Metal framing is an excellent choice for commercial building construction in a multitude of industries. The team at AIR is highly experienced in the many uses for metal studs, including interior and exterior walls, soffits, ceilings, mezzanines, and architectural designs. We would be happy to discuss the possibilities of how to best utilize your building’s space and benefit your business.To request a quote for commercial metal stud framing services in the Cleveland, Canton, and Akron areas, call AIR today at (216) 241-2255.